Passion


I'm rapidly approaching the end of 2nd internship and also probably the end of my time down here at Disney. There are a few possibilities that I could stay, but it is looking like I am not long for Orlando. I more or less came down here on a whim. For 4 years in college, I busted my ass to try and get into medical school. But after a while, it seems like I was spinning my wheels at full speed and getting nowhere. Looking back, I'm not even sure why I had the goals that I did. My Dad is a doctor and all my life people would ask me if I would be like my Dad when I grew up. People expected it. I wanted to do something worthwhile or important with my life, so the medical thing seemed like a good option. And for a while, it seemed like my only option. Since coming down here though, I've found many other paths I can take. I'm happy here. Learning about animals, the environment and conservation have really ignited something within me. Before I was going through the motions, but now I feel passionate about something for once. It's a first and very fulfilling. I want to show people why they should give a damn. Give a damn about our planet and the creatures that live on it. How do I do that? As a tour guide? As a teacher? As a journalist? As an education presenter, the moment that touched me most was when a 4 year old British child told me he was worried that the poachers would harm the animals, and he wanted to help so he could help protect them. I did a Wild By Nature program for a group of 6th graders a few days ago. I had fun, and I think the kids and chaperones had fun too. One chaperone had some very nice things to say to me after the program. They all learned something, they had fun and they wanted to give a damn. You have no idea how good that made me feel. I'm not sure how things will turn out in the next few months, much less the next few years, but I think this little side trip to Florida has really helped me set my course.

2 comments:

Netminder said...

Damn good post

Anonymous said...

You'll definitely missed here if you end up leaving. I'm glad the internships have helped you find a passion. That makes me happy.

~Gordon